Forum Message

Topic: Success in interacting with Ealing's Councillors
Posted by: Mark Julian Raymond
Date/Time: 01/11/19 16:48:00

Simon and Christine,
I have had some success for several years in interacting with Ealing's Councillors of every political persuasion. The approach that I have found most effective is to identify the issues, use the Report-It online system for things like fly-tipping, pavement parking, road sweeping, pavement defects and the like. Monitor the situation and after an appropriate period of time e-mail your local councillors with the original issue, the Report-It details, and ask for progress. Resolving it down to a single tactical event or issue means that action can be taken by the, without getting mired in party politics. A positive outcome can then be enacted. A VERY IMPORTANT point to note here (and a reason for some lost e-mails" is that the Ealing Council is not very good, queues of spam build up and the like which have to be cleared by the IT department so some councillors DO NOT corresponds with their constituents via the council system preferring to use their own private e-mail. On the political circulars and on the councillors websites (or their party websites BUT NOT THE COUNCIL WEBSITE) you will often find their preferred option. Councillors have specific responsibilities for the Ward that they were elected it, and will respond to issues within that Wards, however, I understand that there is not the same level of requirement for the areas in which they live if it is outside their Ward, some Councillors in the Cabinet (or the Shadow Cabinet) have areas of responsibilities, or Portfolios, for example, roads or health. They can be targeted for such relevant issues.
When being trained as a journalist I was taught that when attempting to establishment communications with someone who is screened off from public contact, a good idea is to attend a public event at which they are speaking (foe example a Ward Forum) and to ask a question. After that has finished you approach the podium and introduce yourself to the Councillors or Councillors shaking hands and thanking them for their answer, and by the way how are they getting on with the e-mail you sent, business card exchange can follow if appropriate and further negotiation, all with the "stiff upper lip" attached
As further tip about interacting with the salaried Council officers, the "body corporate" only has a requirement to acknowledge your communication, be it a-nail or written, if it is signed and dated and has your details on it

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Ward forums to be scrapped18/10/19 12:17:00 Simon Hayes
   All I can say is 'BRING IT ON"19/10/19 22:10:00 Mark Julian Raymond
      Re:All I can say is 'BRING IT ON"19/10/19 22:43:00 Simon Hayes
         Re:Re:All I can say is 'BRING IT ON"21/10/19 14:15:00 Rosco White
            Re:Re:Re:All I can say is 'BRING IT ON"23/10/19 17:01:00 Ian Fergus
               Re:Re:Re:Re:All I can say is 'BRING IT ON"23/10/19 18:25:00 Simon Hayes
                  Reply01/11/19 16:04:00 Christine Mulligan
                     Success in interacting with Ealing's Councillors01/11/19 16:48:00 Mark Julian Raymond
                        Re:Success in interacting with Ealing's Councillors04/11/19 19:33:00 Philippa Bond
                           Re:Re:Success in interacting with Ealing's Councillors04/11/19 22:19:00 Libby Kemp
                           Re:Re:Success in interacting with Ealing's Councillors05/11/19 10:10:00 N V Brooks
                              Re:Re:Re:Success in interacting with Ealing's Councillors06/11/19 18:42:00 Simon Hayes

Forum Home