Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Isn't the North Ealing anti-racism protest prejudicial?
Posted by: John Dickinson
Date/Time: 12/09/19 16:05:00

Also, someone, unfortunately me this time, needs to repeat some simple truths in order to push back against de-facto censorship. Whilst any form of bigotry is, obviously, abhorrent, and violence bigotry, obviously, horrifically abhorrent, let's be clear about the difference between race and religion, and what might be meant by "Islamophobia".

Religion is not a race. This violent attack might be (probably is?) motivated by both racism and anti-Muslim bigotry. This protest was billed as anti-racist, whilst also utilised a large "No to Islamophobia" sign. I'm no fan of religion, and value living in a country where we can both criticise religion and also protect the right of folk to practice their religion (whilst they don't restrict the rights of others). It's one of the things that makes a good society. But "Islamophobia" is often used to try to tar with the accusation of bigotry anyone criticising Islam. Islam is a religion, an ideology, not a race, and the term "Islamophobia" conflates criticism of Islam, an ideology, with anti-Muslim bigotry (those of you who follow the arguments around the world will be aware of this - and perhaps aware of the British reformist Muslim Majid Nawaz who makes this point eloquently). It might be a losing battle to try to make this point, but I still think it valuable to do so.

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Isn't the North Ealing anti-racism protest prejudicial?12/09/19 08:23:00 Gordon Southwell
   Re:Isn't the North Ealing anti-racism protest prejudicial?12/09/19 10:24:00 Rosco White
      Re:Re:Isn't the North Ealing anti-racism protest prejudicial?12/09/19 11:43:00 Andy Jones
         Re:Re:Re:Isn't the North Ealing anti-racism protest prejudicial?12/09/19 12:12:00 Rosco White
            Re:Re:Re:Re:Isn't the North Ealing anti-racism protest prejudicial?12/09/19 16:05:00 John Dickinson

Forum Home