Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER
Posted by: Philippa Bond
Date/Time: 22/08/18 14:47:00

I can't comment on that festival but I've been tearing my hair out for years about the waste management at the Ealing Jazz and Blues Festivals.  Or rather I haven't or I wouldn't have any.  It's a disgrace.  Luckily for Ealing Council I've had other more pressing obligations and have just had to turn away with a festering disbelief and disgust - and have tended to choose where and what I ate and to take my litter home to dispose of.

I can understand to an extent that it is difficult in the dark and when people have been drinking to avoid having a lot of contamination of the waste BUT we have been recycling now for years or should have been and the food companies invited (presumably) to attend are I'm sure supposed to be using compostable plates and cutlery.  (I only saw one this year which had single use plastic cutlery.) BUT THE BINS!

This is something that should be improved upon year after year but it is as if a new lot of sixth-formers has been put in charge each year.  WHY IS THERE NO CONTINUITY regarding waste? And why doesn't there appear to be proper LIAISON between different departments of the Council?

How can you not even get it right so that people separate and dispose of their metal drinks cans in the right place?

It doesn't matter what sorting gets done afterwards - if any - as there should also be consolidation of what we should all be doing at home! 

There were random coloured bins with random notices ALL showing the mobius loop whether marked up as GENERAL WASTE or RECYCLING.  Don't we all know by now that what can be recycled in each borough or even each contract is different?  These events may be IN Ealing but they are advertised elsewhere, many of the musicians and their crew come from elsewhere and people attend from elsewhere.  Oh and it really isn't anything to be proud about that we can burn everything if we need to. 

Nobody seemed to understand what could go in the different bins.  There were just laminated notices on them which weren't even attached properly so they couldn't blow upside down - and all featured the mobius loop.  So how many minutes did that take to do the night before?  Where was the planning, the notes from previous years with what worked and what would work better, and where is this year's post mortem on the events?

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
A FESTIVAL OF LITTER15/08/18 15:54:00 Vincent Paul Wrigley
   Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER15/08/18 16:44:00 Robert Marrill
      Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER16/08/18 11:39:00 Vincent Paul Wrigley
         Re:Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER22/08/18 14:47:00 Philippa Bond
            Let's face it we need BIG CHANGEs if Ealing is to survive as a good place to live (not an event venue)22/08/18 15:56:00 Mark Julian Raymond
               Re:Let's face it we need BIG CHANGEs if Ealing is to survive as a good place to live (not an event venue)23/08/18 14:24:00 Harold John Ward
               Re:Let's face it we need BIG CHANGEs if Ealing is to survive as a good place to live (not an event venue)23/08/18 15:26:00 Mark Julian Raymond
   Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER28/08/18 16:30:00 Vincent Paul Wrigley
      Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER28/08/18 19:30:00 Mark Julian Raymond
         Re:Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER28/08/18 22:04:00 Rosco White
            Re:Re:Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER28/08/18 23:26:00 Philippa Bond
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER28/08/18 23:59:00 Mark Julian Raymond
            Re:Re:Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER29/08/18 09:12:00 Harold John Ward
               Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:A FESTIVAL OF LITTER29/08/18 20:02:00 Philippa Bond

Forum Home