Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/09
Posted by: Philippa Bond
Date/Time: 08/12/09 14:21:00

Food and drinks cartons aka Tetra-Paks are made out of cardboard fused together with polythene and/or foil on the inside eg the packaging used by Tropicana, Innocent, Covent Garden Soup and the supermarkets for juice and long-life milk and tomatoes etc.  They go in the Green Box.

Since LBE's instructions have been that they were not recyclable in the kerbside collection and there are banks specifically designated for them paid for originally by the manufacturers of these more difficult to recycle containers it is good to see them now added.

Collection and recycling are not the same thing. It all depends on what the contract that the Council has requires and how much contamination is acceptable.  If we had all put them into the green boxes then we might have found that all our boxes weren't collected.

Plastic containers for milk together with other plastic bottles go in the White Plastics Bag.

Keep looking at the packaging on what you buy as more and more companies are joining up to the scheme which tells you what it is made up of.

There is lots of info on the Council website www.ealing.gov.uk telling you what exactly we can recycle in Ealing and how to reduce the waste that goes to landfill. 

Since we have not been given the info I flatten and leave the lids off the cartons and I drink the last glass of smoothie which is diluted with the water I rinse the carton with.  If I knew they could deal with the lids as well then I'd put them back on the flattened ones but we are not given that information. Perhaps that is something that Mrs Green of myzerowaste.com could ask them?  She and her family are aiming to only put out ONE DUSTBIN of residual waste in ONE WHOLE YEAR.

Removing the pourer from the smoothie type cartons is too much effort for me.  I am more likely to bother with the flat plastic ones on the longlife milk cartons.  Hopefully they'll tell us soon that they can deal with them complete. Leaving the lids on unflattened ones means that they take up too much space in my recycling box/house and are more difficult to flatten when baling.  I've got other things to do!

Entire Thread
TopicDate PostedPosted By
Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0905/12/09 09:42:00 Philippa Bond
   Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0907/12/09 09:37:00 Philippa Bond
      Re:Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0907/12/09 09:47:00 J Smith
         Re:Re:Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0907/12/09 13:03:00 David Fox
         Re:Re:Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0907/12/09 14:48:00 Peter Chadburn
   Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0908/12/09 13:45:00 Viv Ellis
      Re:Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0908/12/09 14:21:00 Philippa Bond
         Re:Re:Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0908/12/09 15:00:00 M. Anderson
            Re:Kerbside Food & Drink Cartons Collection Starts 7/12/0909/12/09 01:19:00 Philippa Bond

Forum Home